Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Am I a Missionary?

I live in a great house on a cul de sac in the suburbs of Kansas City. Can I really be a missionary?
If I had to defend my case, I could describe visiting 10 nations in the last 12 months. I could describe the young missionaries I am investing my life in through the school that I direct.
This is not a job like most have. Our ministry, The International House of Prayer, functions as a "missions base." We have a university with over 1,000 students attending. And a young adult can attend all four years for the price of one semester in most colleges.
How do we do it?

My generation has surrendered to a "missionary lifestyle" so that tuition can be extremely low. We trust Jesus to move in the lives of faithful partners so that our needs are financially met by others.

Do I like it?

Most of the time, no. I have not fully surrendered to the humility necessary to always ask, or to the vulnerability of having our finances totally out of my control.

Am I growing spiritually because of it?

Yes. God is after our dependence and this lifestyle forces me to pray and to believe.

Do we need more partners?

Absolutely. I am committed to asking more and more this year. Here goes: Would you partner with us?

You can send your support to:

The Expansion Network
4513 East 110th Terrace
Kansas City, MO 64137

Or you can use paypal by going to http://www.paypal.com/, clicking "personal" and using this e-mail address: richstevenson@ihop.org.

Thank you so much for your willingness to partner with us.

Rich

No comments: