Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On Beyond Zebra

Said Conrad Cornelius O'Donald O'Dell
My very young friend who is learning to spell:
"The A is for Ape. And the B is for Bear.
The C is for Camel. The H is for Hare.
The M is for Mouse. And the R is for Rat.
I know all the twenty-six letters like that. . ."
"Through to Z is for Zebra. I know them all well."
Said Conrad Cornelius O'Donald O'Dell.
"So now I know everything anyone knows.
From beginning to end, from the start to the close.
Because Z is as far as the alphabet goes."
Then he almost fell flat on his face on the floor
When I picked up the chalk and drew one letter more!
A letter he never had dreamed of before!
And I said, "You can stop, if you want, with the Z.
Because most people stop with the Z, but not me!
In the places I go there are things that I see
That I never could spell if I stopped with the Z.
I'm telling you this 'cause you're one of my friends.
My alphabet starts where your alphabet ends!"
. . . So on beyond Z! It's high time you were shown
That you really don't know all there is to be known.
Dr. Seuss
In our culture, we are masters at "reduction." We can reduce tons of information into digital bits that are easily manageable. We control words, images and movies. And we can store them on a flash drive that we keep in our pocket! We control everything. . .from A to Z!
Everything except God. The farther you go in engaging Him, the more you must embrace mystery. Even His love surpasses our knowledge (Ephesians 3).
You really don't know all there is to be known. . .Thank God.

No comments: